The Inaugural New York Photo Festival: May 14-18, 2008
The New York Photo Festival begins May 14, 2008 in DUMBO (Brooklyn), New York and it looks to be a fantastic event. The festival was founded by Frank Evers of the VII Photo Agency, and Daniel Power of powerHouse Books.
Some of the festival’s highlights include:
– Main Pavilion Shows curated by Martin Parr, Kathy Ryan, Lesley A. Martin, and Tim Barber and held in multiple DUMBO locations. View the exhibition map here.
â€œThe NYPH08 curators were selected for their decisive and innovative approaches to curating, editing, sequencing, and showcasing the varied work of the medium in ways that continually surprise and inspire those of us in the photography industry and the creative cultural public at large,â€ say New York Photo Festival Founders and Co-chairmen, Frank Evers and Daniel Power.
– Satellite Shows, each featuring new and never before exhibited work in one of the festivalâ€™s DUMBO spaces.
– Book Soup: A Photography Panel Discussion and Book Signing Event (Thursday, May 15, 8-10pm) After the panel discussion, a “book signing extravaganza” at The powerHouse Arena will start at 9pm with more than 40 authors. For more info, and to see the full list of authors, visit this page.
– VII Seminar Dumbo – May 16th – 18th from 8am to 1pm each day. Some of the most recognizable names in editorial and fine art photography will be giving talks and Aperture Foundation is a featured programming partner. For more info, visit this page.
– NY Photo Awards and Photo Awards Evening Ceremony, May 16, 2008. From the show site:
The NY Photo Awards is a new international, annual competition, launched to honor photographers breaking new ground with intellectually and aesthetically provocative work..Located in the St. Ann’s Theater space in DUMBO and designed to accommodate 500 persons, this hosted event will feature guest speakers, a/v projections of winning works, presentation of awards and subsequent acceptance speeches. Sixteen category Winners and thirty-two Honorable Mentions, selected by the Jury of the NYPHA, will have their works projected and be publicly recognized before an audience of peers and industry luminaries.
The NY Photo Awards is sponsored by Microsoft. For more information about the NY Photo Awards, visit this page.
Festival Exhibition hours are 10am to 7pm, Thursday May 15th through Sunday May 18th, 2008.
A great overview promo video with some of the exhibition venues can be seen below:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRPAq_-AN1M[/youtube]
I look forward to attending and sharing my experiences and images from the event.
For more info, including how to purchase tickets online, visit the main show site at www.nyphotofestival.com/